DevBlog #01 - React Native is hard man
Hello there, this is the second development blog for Project
eyesight, showing what progress was made during the month of July. I’ve also
included an updated roadmap to kind of let you all know when the app is coming
out. Keep in mind however, this isn’t a definitive timeline, I also have other
stuff going on that unfortunately take much of my time (like an actual job because
I need something to support this project).
Development updates
After what it felt like ages, I managed to get React Native
properly working, which reminds me to tell you, if you’re looking forward to
making your own multi-platform app, choose Flutter, for the love of God stay
away from the death trap that is React Native. It may be too late for me but
there’s still hope for you out there. (Next I’ll post a quick tutorial to set
RN up for Visual Studio Code, hope I’ll be able to help).
In a more serious tone however, I have been using July to
learn how all the small parts of RN work and started prototyping sections of
the app. Once I got the hang of the basics, things don’t seem so bad, (still I
recommend Flutter).
I haven’t been able to put much time on the app, so progress
has been slower than I’d hoped, but there has been progress, nonetheless. I
managed to get the app intro to work properly and sending the user into the
‘Home’ screen. Currently working on implementing the timer features for the
‘Jome’ screen so I can get them to work with each other. I suspect that will
take me about a week to figure out as I don’t really have any experience
working with these things, but we’ll see.
Roadmap
Mobile Design
- This part is already done, all the little things have been set up so I can start working on the app for both Android and IOS. Android will come earlier however, simply because it is much easier and cheaper to release apps on the Play Store rather than the App Store.
Prototyping
- This is where I am currently, and it will probably last until September 2023. This is because I am focusing on building most of the features of the app during this time, separately including implementing the designs for each feature hopefully.
- June 2023 – September 2023
Development
- This part will probably last from October to December 2023. I haven’t planned too much time for this stage, as most features will be already created by this point, and all I will have to do is implement them with the respective design on the actual project. So, it shouldn’t take too long.
- October 2023 – December 2023
Partial Release
- I’m hoping to have the mobile BETA version out by January 2024.
Web Design
- I’ll also hopefully start this part on January, although I might start it during the mobile Development stage, if I get the time to do so. Either way it will probably take me until March 2024 to complete this part.
- January 2024 – March 2024
Web Development
- Again, since most features will be ready by this time, so this should not take too much time to complete. I am hoping I can get the web version out by June of 2024.
- April 2024 – June 2024
Finishing Touches
- This phase will be the one where I deal with all the smaller things in preparation for the full release.
- I don’t know how much this will take so; we’ll see how things go…
Comments
Post a Comment